More than a quarter of all road traffic incidents involve somebody who is driving as part of their work at the time. Health and safety law applies to work activities on the road in the same way as it does to all work activities and you need to manage the risks to drivers as part of your health and safety arrangements.
HSE have released an updated version of their informative HSE guidance document Managing Work Related Road Safety (INDG382). This revised version should be compulsory reading for every employer running a business fleet.
Here are details of the some of the key highlights from the new content:
- Much more precise detailed guidance for required steps, with links to the relevant legislation.
- Specific detailed action checklists. For example, the driver training that employers should consider and driving policies for employees.
- Ensuring that your training providers are competent, and training is repeated when necessary.
- Advice on procedural aspects for employers, from safe practice to journey planning and how you involve sub-contractors in your expectations.
- Advice on how to deal with vulnerable road users who are so often the casualties with business driver collisions.
This document provides valuable support and guidance for all employers. This would also serve as an obvious checklist for authorities to follow during the investigation of a collision
Effective management of work-related road safety helps reduce risk, no matter what size your organisation is. It is vital that anyone running a business fleet – either company vehicles or grey fleet – is aware of the content of the document. Can you afford not to be aware of its contents and how it applies to your business?
Cardinus provides all types of fleet risk management products including online driver training, in-vehicle driver training and fleet risk management consultancy. Call Cardinus today to discuss your occupational road risk needs on 020 7469 0200 or email firstname.lastname@example.org