Employers have a legal duty under the Health and Safety Information for Employees Regulations (HSIER) to display the approved health and safety poster in a prominent position in each workplace or to provide each worker with a copy of the approved leaflet that outlines British health and safety law.
The original poster and leaflet published in April 1999 were updated in 2009. The poster was replaced and became available as a download and the leaflet was replaced by a more convenient format as a pocket card.
By 5 April 2014 all original posters and leaflets must be replaced with the 2009 version of the poster or pocket card.
The additional information that employers have to provide in writing, either by inserting this in the are on the poster or by giving it to workers pocket card is:
- The name and address of the enforcing authority; and
- The address of the office of HSE’s Employment Medical Advisory Service (EMAS) for the premises concerned.
Further information regarding the HSE posters can be obtained by accessing:
- The HSE website to see the type of workplaces HSE is responsible for and those where local authorities have responsibility.
- The HSE addresses for HSE local offices
- The list of local authorities at Gov.UK
- The poster or leaflet from HSE books