- Fast flowing water carries debris, gravel, slurry> What’s under the surface that you can’t see and should be avoiding?
- Beware blocked drains, manhole covers forced up by floodwater.
- Don’t enter flood water, it may be deeper and faster than you think.
- Tyres nearing replacement won’t clear standing water at speed, how low is your tread? Slow down!
- Others might not be as experienced as you, why not allow for their mistakes?
- Wet roads will take you longer to stop. Stopping distances are greater on wet roads after a long, dry spell.
- Water gathers in dips. Do you know where the high-risk points on your route are?
- Allow for other drivers swerving to avoid standing water?
- The safest journey is the one you don’t make. Is your trip REALLY necessary?
If you must travel:
- Headlights on
- Double your normal space
- Keep slow and safe – it controls others too!
Body shops love bad weather for the extra business it brings them. Don’t let them have yours!